Calle de San Lázaro

There was a road called Arcabuco in Havana. It departed from the vicinity of the Angel Hill in a westerly direction to where there was a cove or cove. When a soldier named Juan Guillén installed in the cove a riverside carpentry to build small boats, the site was called “La Caleta de Juan Guillén” and the road was called “the caleta”.
When the Hospital of San Lazarus was built in the vicinity of the cove, an institution under the auspices of the Catholic Church, the toponymy changed again. From here to the area and the old road was then named “the one of Saint Lazarus”. Later officially it was named Calle Ancha del Norte, although historians agreed to say that no one told him so.
On November 17, 1905, the City Council of Havana agreed to change its name to Avenida de Maceo and in 1909, again by another agreement, the number 204 of the same entity, dated December 6, a new name was determined for the street, that of Avenida de la República. Since it was not a splendid street, it was understood by the relevant entities and by the inhabitants of the city, that this name was not correct. For this reason it was decreed to restore that of San Lázaro, from the Paseo de Martí to the University. Today is a very popular street in our city. Ω

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.