Catholic footprint in the streets of Habaneras

There is a street in Havana that begins and ends at sea. After overflowing the city its walled frame was the longest of extramurs for many years. San Cayetano was the first name by which he was known and was later named the Caño. It owes its current name to one of the two churches that exist in its trace, that of St. Nicholas of Bari and St. Jude Tadeo. It was built in 1798 and also gave its name to an important middle district that has already disappeared.
San Nicolás crosses several historic neighborhoods of the city: St. Leopold, Chinatown, The Sites and Jesus Mary. Among them it meanders from Malecon to Daily Street. It’s twenty-seven blocks away. This street was the heart of Havana’s Arab Quarter, where an important mass of immigrants of Maronite origin settled that contributed greatly to the development of the parish, making it its religious center. A chapel dedicated to Saint Marón is still preserved on site.
On December 16, 1927, he was renamed, according to agreement 262 of the City Council and was officially appointed German General, the name of a veteran of the war of independence who became secretary of President Machado’s office. Many popular voices rose up against such determination. There was so much popular pressure that it was determined to restore the name of St. Nicholas that it still retains. / by L.N.A. Ω

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.